We believe EVERY person has an equal right to Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness.
- We believe "The Pursuit of Happiness" implies every person should have Equal Opportunity under the Law and through Policy to participation in society including economic self improvement regardless of sex, creed, skin color, political affiliation, impairment, ability, or disability.
** The Disabled know better than most the truth that Life is Not Fair, but the law must strive to be. **
- We believe strong communities are created by valuing each member for their talents, and encouraging each member to contribute those talents to the best of their abilities.
When we Value each Person's Contributions, We ALL Gain:
- The Energy and Enthusiasm of the Young
- The Wisdom of the Experienced
- The Thoughtfulness of the Physically Limited
- The Strength and Stamina of the Physically Viril
- Being Humbled By Helping and Being Helped
Life & Liberty vs. Institutionalization
No one should live under the constant threat of institutional incarceration for no reason other than mobility impairment. To disregard the talents, insights, experience of family, friends, and neighbors simply because they have difficulty walking or using their hands is to devalue them. To remove them from society, is to disregard their humanity or dehumanize them.
Devaluation of the mobility impaired through policy and action is to say that physical labors have greater value than intellectual labors.
- Inclusively, regardless of impairment, ANY person who feels devalued by their community is effectively stripped of their dignity and humanity, effectively killing them emotionally, and often slowly physically.
- If you have nothing to look forward to, or feel enthusiastic about, than why try? There is little remaining but to wait for the inevitable death by self neglect that frequently follows. Neglect in any form leads to higher healthcare costs. A person who is actively engaged in their community has far less healthcare costs.
- Nursing Homes are little more than warehouses to keep the physically or mentally impaired out of sight and out of mind. Most agree that nursing homes do not work. Any large corporate facility will never feel like or be "home". (Making the name an oxymoron)
- Existence IS NOT Living ... Living is much more than breathing and a heartbeat.
- Institutionalization effectively strips that person of their right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness - that which we most fundamentally hold dear as AMERICANS.
When You Find Yourself Physically Impaired, Which Will You Choose?
We are all only temporarily able-bodied. You will grow old. Unless a car accident, unexpected diagnosis, or a wood-tick get you first.
Someone in your family has likely already experienced the following:
Institutional Incarceration for Mobility Impairment
- 1 caregiver to 10 clients
- Often wait Hours for Help, Bath once / week, etc.
- Impersonal, Typically Terrible Quality of Care
- Nursing Home responsible to buy wheelchair. Purchases inexpensive $300 sling seat used manual wheelchair.
- Wheelchair unusable to quadriplegics and higher level of needs means sentence of solitary confinement in bed.
- History of younger disabled who haven't been out of bed in 2 years. Van to local mall, etc. maybe once per week.
- NO Release Date
- ALL Income and Assets are Taken
- Individual or family pays $75,000 to $200,000
Criminal Incarceration with a Mobility Impairment
- One-to-one personal care
- Caregiver is always there, plenty of time available.
- Personal, Typically Good to Excellent Quality of Care.
- Prison/State responsible to purchase wheelchair. Purchases quality $3,000-$50,000 new power wheelchair.
- Freedom to move around prison and and outdoor yard while interacting with other prisoners.
- Possible daily work/community release programs
- Set Release Date
- Able to keep Assets and more Income (if smart about choice of crime committed)*
- FREE to individual, society pays $19,000 to $39,000 (2015 avg)
We Facilitate Inclusion
- Advocacy backed by the combined voice of Alliance Members - both Organizations and Individuals
- Equal Under the Law - Civil Rights, Taxation, Remove Ridiculous Restrictions on Economic Self Improvement
- Community Integration - assessments, life coaching, & project implementation management.
- Hold State and Federal Governments Accountable to Full Implementation of the Supreme Court Olmstead Decision from 15 years ago that says funds that would be available for someone to be in an institution need to be made available for that person to reside and participate fully within their community.
- Fair - Pursuit of Happiness - Employment, Education, Family, Relationships, Recreation, & Travel
- Change perspectives from vulnerable dependency to confident self-determination. Inspire, Motivate, and Educate
Community Integration Services
Provided by Experts who understand your needs. Each is independent. You can choose who you feel comfortable working with, or switch providers.
- Home Modification Assessments - Access to both enter and exit independently. Bathroom, Bedroom, Kitchen, Home Office or Garage Workspace, Communications, home maintenance, Emergency Preparedness, RV's, Houseboats
- Vehicle Modification & Driving Assessment - more than vans! SUV's, Trucks, Electric Community Car, Wheelchair Motorcycles, RV's. Many control options
- Project Implementation and Management
- Vocational Readiness Assessment and Plan
- Self-Employment Coaching, Telework
- Financial Life Planning / Coaching
- Trusts, Legal, Injury, inappropriate Denials of needed equipment or services
- All performed by licenced & qualified experts - engineers, ATP's, lawyers, most themselves Disabled!
Unique Experiences that Influence Perspective
Perspective can drive us or limit us.
Real World Solutions
Provided for the Disabled By the Disabled.
- Telework Job Training and Career Development providing assistive technology solutions.
- Inclusive Living Homes for the Elderly - funded and driven by the elderly for the elderly. Assistive Technologies with user interfaces designed specifically for the elderly provided by younger disabled persons who already understand mobility impairment
Assistive Technology Manufactures & Providers