For a child with a neuromuscular disease such as muscular dystrophy, just lifting a spoon or a brush can be difficult. But the Wilmington Robotic Exoskeleton, or WREX for short, gives children with muscle weakness the ability to lift and move their arms in 3-D space.
The WREX, Wilmington Robotic EXoskeleton was conceived, developed, and patented by the Pediatric Engineering Research Laboratory (PERL), in the Center for Orthopedics Research and Development (CORD) at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware.
The WREX is a state-of-the-art, light weight exoskeleton with two links and four degrees of motion that approximates normal human anatomy. It incorporates elastic band elevation assists for both the shoulder and elbow to totally eliminate gravity influence on the extremity. The unique design of the shoulder and elbow joints allow for a significant improvement in the available range of motion when compared to other assistive devices.
Developed for people with neuromuscular weakness such as muscle disease, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, that effect upper limbs, WREX acts as a functional aid in activities of daily living. It can also serve as a cost effective exercise/therapy device for people recovering from stroke.
The WREX can be attached to most common wheelchairs and mobility seating systems utilizing one of the three Mount Bases provided with the arm (also known as Mount Relocator).
The WREX is assembled as left or right. The size is adjustable to fit most children through adult arms.
- Right or Left WREX Arm with Mount
- The WREX forearm Support of appropriate size to patient
- WREX Product Manual
How to Obtain
Licensed Orthotists: Please register for a user account. Then Contact us to set your user account status so you will be able to view pricing and purchase.
Insurance Reimbursement - HICPIC K0108 (with retail), E-Codes (cost only). For a DME to get fully and properly reimbursed requires the use of a combination of these codes. Dealers should email us for information sheet. Therapists may be able to utilize HCPCS L-Code: 3999 - MISC.
- Print 3 copies this Webpage to take along when you visit your Doctor and Orthotist insteps 2 and 3. (Highlight this center section to be printed, then utilize Print feature in your web browser. Choose the option for "Selection" meaning the area you have highlighted.)
- Visit your Doctor to obtain a short prescription or referral (1 or 2 lines is all that is necessary) to see your local Physical or Occupational Therapist first for an “evaluation" and second to see your local Orthotist. The Therapist and Orthotist will need this prescription or referral from your doctor to bill your insurance on your behalf. Take along a printed copy of this webpage so they know what you are referring to.
- Visit your local Physical or Occupational Therapist. Your therapist will need to write up a justification for why you need and will benefit from the WREX. This additional documentation is typically required for insurance reimbursement under Miscellaneous L-code 3999.
- Visit your local Orthotist (Search for an orthotist near you by Zip code). Take along a printed copy of this webpage so that you know what you are referring to.
- Orthotist faxes (866-672-8919) or e-mails P.O. to Broadened Horizons (sales@BroadenedHorizons.com)
- After your Orthotist receives your completed WREX, they will schedule a second appointment for you to come in for final fitting then send you on your way and bill your insurance on your behalf.
If you are located internationally, are uninsured, or do not have the time or patience to pursue insurance reimbursement, the WREX can be purchased privately and even mounted on wheelchair with the assistance of a friend or family member familiar with basic hand tools. Contact Us to purchase privately and for possible Cash-Equivalent Payment Discounts. Note: It is still best to visit a licensed orthotist or therapist near you to help you with final fitting and maximize use of the WREX for activities of daily living
30 Day Trial Program to mitigate concerns over "Will It Work for Me?"
Many Users and Professionals are concerned if they or their client will be successful with the WREX. The majority of candidates are very successful and the WREX significantly enhances their independence and ability to perform activities of daily living by mitigating the significant forces of gravity the rest of us naturally ignore. Most will improve significantly with practice and use. Active daily use, much like any exercise also helps mitigate the effects of degenerative disorders. However, of course there are some individuals who, even with gravity mitigated still do not have enough strength or range of motion to achieve what they would consider "success".
To accommodate this concern EVERY WREX IS CONSIDERED a 30 DAY TRIAL. If a Licensed Orthotist sends a Purchase Order no payment is due for 30 days (we may require a credit card on file if orthotist does not have credit terms with us)
If the WREX is found to not be appropriate to the end users needs, Contact Us for an RMA and we will e-mail you a Return Shipping Label. We must receive WREX back in like new, resalable condition within 30 Days. The credit card or PO will be credited for the full purchase price minus $250 to cover shipping both ways, restocking, cleaning, and refurbishment.